PHP has gain its status as one of the most popular language in the programming world even though it’s only a is very loosely programming language. More and more great applications written in PHP has appeared on the web helping encourage many of us to learn it. Even Facebook the most popular social network is written in PHP. Internet software like WordPress, vBulletin, MyBB… are all written in PHP. Besides, the internet has change our life so dramatically without us ever noticing it. It was only just a little trendy to have website a little while back. Now it feels like compulsory to have an online porfolio or CV to show your talents to the world. People don’t just heard from someone they know that you are capable of doing it. They carefully and quietly visit your website. Look at your works and hire you to do the things they need if they like what you accomplished.
Building a website no longer is trend. It is a professional job now, and is definitely one of the hot. Of course there are still a lot of people out there being very interested in building their own website. It’s great to build our own website, right? It’s definitely very pleasing doing so. No matter you want to become a professional web programmer or just a seasoned one who love to build their own stuff. You have to learn PHP (don’t tell me you want to build your website in our old friend from Microsoft… ASP?). There are so many resources in the internet where you can find useful and appropriate, but I don’t know how it is for you. But I feel this for so many times. There are just so many great things on the internet that we definitely don’t know which is which. Sufficiency is good. Deficiency is unpleasing and so is abundance.
I took many steps during the process of learning PHP. Some of them helps a lot but so many others are just unnecessary. If you want to learn PHP, consider these steps:
- First and very important, ask yourself why you want to learn PHP. This seems funny but it’s not at all. Of course you want to build website. But do you want to simply build a website of your own and some of the people that you know like your friends or colleagues? OR do you want to learn PHP so that you can earn a living with it? It’s fun to build our own site, but it’s tiring, too. You’ll have to take care a lot of things. Whereas you only have to make some decisions if hiring somebody to do it. However, it’s not so easy to earn a living a developer life. It’s very stressing, trust me! And you have to have a very good service because… well there are so many information on the internet now aday that as you see there are just so many kids out there can beat you with their PHP skills. But good efforts will server you well. Remember your goal of learning and always remember your goal will save you a lot of time. It’s very tempting along the way.
- Watch this course on Lynda.com PHP with MySQL Essential Training at least 2 times. Feel free to skip any chapter or movie that you think are so easy after the first watch.
- Read those books (PHP and MySQL Web Development (4th Edition) or this book PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide (4th Edition) then this book PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide (4th Edition)) to make the your PHP knowledge more solid. Again, feel free to skip.
- Watch this intermediate course on Lynda.comPHP with MySQL Beyond the Basics. Again at least 2 times and feel free to skip.
- Stop and think. If you only learn PHP to build website with WordPress, or vBulletin, MyBB. It’s good enough for you to stop now and learn about the software that you will be using.
- Read this book PHP Advanced and Object-Oriented Programming: Visual QuickPro Guide (3rd Edition) and then this book PHP Object-Oriented Solutions. Skip as your interest.
- Build something. A shopping cart, a blog, an app… are all good to go. Build something will help you have a better understand of PHP. All those errors and problems arising will help you a lot.
- If you want to earn a living building sites with available softwares like WordPress. Stop now and learn about that software
- If you want to go farther, it’s time to learn about framework. The best place to learn about them is at their document page. At this level, I think you are comfortable enough to learn with the specs. You are advisable to join their forum of support. Try to help people with their problems with the knowledge you gain from the specs. You may be wrong, but don’t be afraid. We all learn from mistakes.
I took many unnecessary steps when I learnt, but I’ve also learned a lot. Hope you can soon code your PHP projects.